Global Business Team

Moreno, LLP Attorneys at Law is here to help you navigate back to a place of financial freedom. Our qualified attorneys and support staff are dedicated to working for you. We are here to help you assess your financial situation and provide solutions to your financial challenges so you can achieve success!

What is an R-1 visa?

If you’re an immigrant looking to move to Indiana, an R-1 visa may allow you to relocate to the United States. An R-1 visa enables you to move to the U.S. and work for a religious organization. However, you’ll have to meet a few qualifications before your employer can apply on your behalf.

What an R-1 visa accomplishes

The United States issues R-1 visas to qualified workers as part of its employment-based immigration policies. To qualify for an R-1 visa, you’ll have to work for a nonprofit religious organization in the U.S. You’ll also have to be a member of a religious group with a nonprofit organization for at least the past two years.

If you qualify, your religious organization will have to file a petition on your behalf. Once that happens, you’ll have to navigate through the preapproval process. During this time, the government may request information to ensure that your employer is telling the truth about everything on your application. You may want to hire an immigration attorney to assist you during this time.

Once you’ve arrived, you can stay in the country for up to 30 months. If you need to stay longer, you can request an extension, but you can’t stay in the U.S. on an R-1 visa for more than five years. If you decide to stay in the U.S. permanently, you may have to go through the official citizenship process.

How can you get help during the immigration process?

If you have any questions or need help with the immigration process, contact an immigration attorney. This individual may be able to help you safely move to the U.S. and bring qualifying family members. An immigration attorney may also be able to protect you from threats of deportation.