Global Business Team

Moreno, LLP Attorneys at Law is here to help you navigate back to a place of financial freedom. Our qualified attorneys and support staff are dedicated to working for you. We are here to help you assess your financial situation and provide solutions to your financial challenges so you can achieve success!

Who can be a petitioner in Indiana?

If you are seeking a visa to enter the United States, you may need a petitioner to request a visa on your behalf. A petitioner usually submits requests on behalf on foreign nationals to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, or USCIS. After the request is approved, the foreign national is eligible to submit a visa application. The petitioner can be a U.S. citizen who is an immediate relative or an employer. The foreign national is referred to as a beneficiary.

As per U.S. immigration law, USCIS uses two forms for a petitioner to submit on behalf of the beneficiary. If the petitioner is a relative, Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative should be completed. If a prospective employer is the petitioner, they are supposed to complete Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Workers.

If you are a foreign national who has relatives in the U.S. with permanent residence or citizenship status, one of your relatives can help with the immigration process, and you may qualify for a green card. Only a few family relationships qualify for a beneficiary to receive a green card. For instance, a spouse or parent is an immediate relative, which means they’ll be eligible to petition for their family member’s green card.

If you want to become a petitioner for a family member, you should first consider your family relationship and ensure that the I-30 form has been filed on behalf of the immigrant. In most cases, married individuals in the U.S. or the parents of a citizen receive green cards more quickly than extended relatives. However, residents of the Philippines and Mexico might wait longer because the demand from such nations is higher.

An immigration law attorney may be able to answer all your questions about the immigration process. Regulations, forms and fees for this process are often in flux in the United States, so consulting a legal professional may help you complete your application as quickly and accurately as possible.